Writing for children

These are some of the stories I used to tell my children when they were kids. I hope other children will also enjoy this.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

The story is ending today

As promised yesterday, I am finishing the story today. No more waiting to know the ending.


Then the minister said, “Maharaja, there is still hope left. We have counted the coconuts and there is one missing.”

The king and the princess looked at each and smiled. They waited anxiously for that person’s return.

Days passed, but that person did not return. The king soon lost hope of finding a honest man to marry his daughter. He never thought it will be so difficult to find a honest man in his kingdom or the neighbouring kingdoms.

But after a fortnight, an undernourished and tired looking young man, came back with an unbroken coconut and said, “Your Majesty, I couldn’t break this coconut as per your condition. I could not find a place where no one was watching me.”

The king got angry. He thought the young man was teasing him. “In this big world you could not find a place where you could break this coconut without anyone watching you? I can’t believe it. You have taken two weeks time to return!! Shame on you!” shouted the king.

“Maharaja, please believe me. I am telling you the truth. Many times I was about to break it hoping that no one was there. But every time I saw a new face watching me with a smile. I don’t know from where they came even though no one was around. I think it was God who was watching me everywhere. So I could not hide from Him and break the coconut. Please forgive me.”

“Then what happened?” Raju was eager to know.

Raju’s mother glanced at her son and continued the story. “The princess, however, was pleased. She knew now that this man was really honest. She had no hesitation to marry him and the king was very happy to leave his kingdom in the hands of a honest person,” said Raju’s mother.

“Now son, tell me whether any one saw you taking the eraser?” asked his mother holding him nearer to her.

“Yes, Mummy. God must have seen me taking it and keeping it for myself. I’m sorry. I will not do such things again,” Raju promised his mother. “I will return the eraser to Madan tomorrow itself.”

“That’s good.” Raju’s mother hugged him with a beaming smile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home