Writing for children

These are some of the stories I used to tell my children when they were kids. I hope other children will also enjoy this.

Sunday, April 02, 2006

The Clever Princess

Raju's mother sat beside him to help his homework. When she was helping him she saw a new eraser in his box. It looked different from the other he had. It did not look like it had been made in India. She also knew that his father had not bought it for him. Neither had other relatives presented Raju with such an expensive eraser. To set her mind at rest, she decided to ask him.

"Raju, where did you get this eraser from?"

"From the school," pat came Raju's reply.

"School....? Who gave it to you?" persisted his mother.

Now Raju was in a dilemma. He wondered whose name he could use.

"Madan gave me this," said Raju, after a moment's thought and looked at his mother to see whether she was satisfied with his reply.

"Madan....? He does not sit next to you. Doesn't he sit in the front bench? So, why did he give you this?"

"Mummy, I want to finish this homework soon and go to play," said Raju hoping to avoid answering his mother's further questions.

"Raju, my dear, first answer my question," said his mother.

"He didn't give it to me. I saw it lying on the floor. So I took it," answered Raju.

"Raju! How can you just take it even if it was lying on the floor? It's not correct on you part."

"Why? What's wrong in it?"

"As a good boy you should have given it to Madan if you knew that it belonged to him. Otherwise you should have given it to your class teacher who would have handed it over to the owner. You have no right to take somebody's property from the classroom and keep it with you. If some one had seen you taking it what would they think of you?"

Raju smiled victoriously. "No one was there, Mummy. The whole class had gone to play. I was all alone at that time. So nobody had seen me picking it up."

"Raju, my son, you cannot say that nobody was watching you. Somebody is always watching you and your actions. Not only you, every one of us are being watched all the time. Please remember that."

Raju looked as if he did not believe his mother.

"I will tell you a story and you can decide for yourself whether you are being watched or not," said his mother.

What is that story? I'll tell you later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home